Day 11 - 22 Apr, Wednesday: 大寨

. Thursday, April 30, 2009

I woke up early that morning cause i wanted to catch the sunrise. Sunrise was supposedly 6.10am. This was the scene before the sun was up.
And in this pic, the sun has just risen from behind the mountain far away. It was a cloudy day, so the group of us there waited for quite a while to see the sun for that few minutes before it disappeared behind the clouds. And then i went back to sleep.
It was only 7+ when i was woken up by noise outside. The sun was shining brightly, casting strong shadows,
through the window... It felt like a good start to the day to see the sun shining brightly.
People were gathering outside, ready to go down hill or go on some tour, which explained the noise. And the Yao women were there doing their handiwork while waiting for the tourists to finish their breakfast, so that they can carry their bags down the hill.
The same scene when the sun was up.
There were three viewing spots in total. Since my hotel was at Spot #1, i planned to visit the other 2 spots that day. This's a close up shot of the terraces filled with water.
The water is being channeled from up the hills to the terraces through bamboo pipes like this.
Resting hut for the farmers. I was talking to one of them in that hut previously.
On the way to Spot #3.
And this's the view from Spot #3.
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. I met this group of uni students from Guilin and we hung out for a while.
The view further down. Anyway, the terraces have been around for nearly 700 years!
There were 5 of them in total. One of them was not in the power rangers shot cause he was taking the picture. And they said i looked not more than 20. Ha...
I was taking pictures non-stop...
Horses were being used instead of buffaloes to farm the land cause they are supposed to be stronger according to the uncle who carried my bag the day before. And they are smaller than buffaloes, so they can work better on the terraces, some of which are really small plots of land. I came across this horse when i was walking down a trail. It was in my way and it didn't look like it was going to give way initially. I have this fear about walking behind horses cause i feel that they might use their powerful hind legs to kick me suddenly.
This old Yao man wanted me to take a picture of him, which i obliged;
and i even took another pic with him. And while talking to him after that, he requested for 2yuan to contribute to his tobacco fund, which i also obliged.
Spot #2.
Some other place.
Resting dragonfly. Do you notice the missing leg?
This reminds me of a golf course somehow.
I saw this when i returned to my hotel. I think the chambermaid crushed the moth's wing when she closed the window which i left open. I felt guilty about it...
My sad dinner.
Charlotte's Web.
"Please dun eat me..." The pig pleaded.

0 comments:

 

^